Approximately, there are 200 ranking signals that are being used by Google on their algorithm. These ranking signals were never publicized though. Here are some of the factors that can affect how Google ranks websites and pages.
Some Popular Ranking Signals
1. Domain Factors – these include domain age, domain registration length, domain history, exact domain and placement of keywords. The keyword should appear in the top level domain and subdomain and it should also be the first word in your domain.
2. Page-level Factors – this has to do with the content length and the keyword as well. Longer content usually are more useful than shorter ones. It should be free from any grammatical or spelling errors. Also, it is important not to post duplicate contents as these can affect the visibility of your site in a negative way. The title tag of your content should start with your keyword. The keyword should also appear in the description tag and on the H1 tag. And, it is important to take note of keyword density. This is not as important as it was before, but it is still important not to overdo it.
3. Site-level Factors – these popular ranking signals have something to do with your overall site – from content, to pages and others. The content should not only be unique, but it should also provide useful and valuable information. It is also important for your “Contact Us” page to have enough contact information. The presence of a sitemap also helps and of course, do not forget about the site reputation.
4. Backlink Factors – these would include your linking domain ages, the number of linking root domains, the number of linking pages and the PR of linking page. It is important to get links from different sources. And when you are to put links on your contents, it is recommended to place them on the beginning.
5. Social Signals – social media sites are quite popular so it is just right to use them as ranking signals. The ranking of a site can depend on the number of tweets, facebook likes and shares that it is receiving. The votes it receives on social sharing sites count as well. The number of its Pinterest pins and Google+1’s is also important.
There are more ranking signals which are being used by Google but these are among the most common ones. If you need help in ranking your site, do not hesitate to get help from us at eSearch Marketing. We are offering free consultation so make sure you contact us and we will gladly help you.